Thursday, October 24, 2013

Things I Have Learned About Europe

La Basilique du Sacré Cœur, Paris

For the month of September, I  backpacked around Europe with my sister. I fully intended to blog about it while it was happening, but... I was backpacking around Europe! I  used my precious WiFi time (with mostly crappy wifi) to make some kind of effort to stay in touch with the people back in the U.S. of A.

I think possibly waiting until I'm done has been good. Although certain details may have faded, it has put everything into perspective. Some things that seemed like the end of the world at the time are now clearly just a blip on the radar.

So, one of the things that I wanted to document about this trip is what I learned about Europe. I've been a "Euro-phile" for a while now: planning imaginary trips, researching living costs and culture, and playing around with the languages. However, none of that can compare to the knowledge that you acquire when you are actually traveling there (not to mention actually residing there, I imagine.) Therefore, here is just a brief list, in no particular order, of a few things I have learned abroad.

1. Free bathrooms are precious and should be treasured. American public bathrooms are rampant. They are everywhere. And if someone asked you to pay to use one, you would think they were a nutcase. But not only are free bathrooms a rarity in most European countries, bathrooms can be a struggle to find at all. Instead of encountering a bathroom around every corner, you wander the train station aimlessly, happy to fork over your euro once you finally find the restroom. The upside is that these pricey restrooms are usually very clean (as in, sometimes are cleaned and disinfected between each use *cough*Germany*cough*) Don't even get me started on finding a free, clean bathroom. Whoa. So, use your hostel or hotel bathroom before you leave. Use other free bathrooms you encounter. Paying to use the bathroom blows.

2. Europeans love their shoes and bags. In America, shoes are not important. In general, people just wear whatever. In Europe, it is different. There are shoe stores literally everywhere. Most of them sell bags, too. It makes sense that shoes are important since everyone walks so much. By extension, bags are also important. Stuff that I just toss into my car and pull out if I need it has to actually be lugged around when you're cycling, walking, or riding public transportation. Voila, you have an obsession with cute, practical bags and shoes.

3. Politeness is not an essential part of European life. I had heard that this was the case, but I actually did not anticipate this bothering me to the extent that it does. Despite our stereotype of being obnoxious, or "ugly," Americans are freakishly polite creatures. Every single industry in America revolves around customer service. Cashiers, waitresses, receptionists, even nurses- and just about anyone else- is considered to be "paid to be nice." Of course, high quality, efficiency, and other qualities factor in, but generally the number one priority is that you can be a nice, friendly, engaging person. Or at the very least, rein in your snarl. This is not the experience I have had in Europe. This is not, by any means, to say that Europeans are rude. I have encountered many wonderfully sweet and helpful, or gruff and charming Europeans. Politeness is just not on the radar. It is clear that cashiers believe they are being paid to scan your groceries and take your money, not to be friendly. If you fumble with your change or take too long bagging the groceries (or heaven forbid you don't speak Italian and have no idea that they just asked if you wanted a bag!) they have no qualms about rolling their eyes and sighing. This is just not culturally okay in America (not to say it doesn't happen, but it's something weird and unacceptable when it does.) This is not a problem, just a cultural difference; one of the things you have to adjust to while traveling, but it was a bigger adjustment than I thought it would be.

4. Dogs are much more well-behaved in Europe. I'm not kidding.

My long train ride must-haves!


5. A lot of trains and metros function on a modified honor system. I was not anticipating this. In most American metro systems, you have to put in a ticket or swipe a pass to even get through to the train/subway. This was the case in some places (some of Italy, Paris,) but most German-speaking countries seem to be on a different plan. You buy the subway pass or ticket, and just jump straight on the subway. There are no gates or such. A plain-clothes subway dude may come through and check tickets while you're riding, and you sure as hell better have that valid ticket if he does. Otherwise, there is no enforcement of the ticket policy.

6. Vegetarians can eat happily until they die. It is actually stupid how meat-obsessed the U.S. is. Newer, more "hip" restaurants are increasingly offering extensive vegetarian and vegan menus, but many traditional restaurants (particularly outside of large cities) fail to have a single vegetarian entree on the menu. I have actually ordered a collection of side dishes many times at restaurants because there simply is no vegetarian option. Happily, Europe is a wealth of vegetarian options. Even if there is not an exotic item on the menu, you can count on there being spaghetti without meat sauce, or something.

7. Europeans are far more comfortable with the human body. This works both ways. Not only do they tolerate nudity far more, they also are not panting and drooling over the female body the way some Americans seem to. Cleavage seems far less common, not because women are "covering up," it's just not a big huge desirable thing.

8. The Wi-Fi sucks. Sure, it exists and everything, this isn't the wilderness we're talking about, but it's far less prevalent and also far less speedy than internet-obsessed America. It's a sad truth.

9. Upside: Quality matters. Downside: it is hard to find "mediocre" quality/price items. Because we knew we would buy so many gifts at our last two stops, we planned to buy suitcases to check on the flight back. Our backpacks were heavy enough without all that extra. My sister bought one in Lucerne. Oh my gosh, Switzerland, I love you to death and I will be back a dozen times before I die, but your prices!! I cannot even cope with them. We were at a Coop City (awesome store, by the way, it is like Target and Macy's combined,) and the suitcases were predictably expensive. I decided that I could really get away with a duffel/sports bag instead, since I did not have a lot of extra stuff to pack. The store only carried name-brand (Puma, Nike, Adidas,) and the cheapest tiny little duffel was around 40sfr ($45.) No, thanks. I ended up buying a flimsy one from a slimy nasty street market in Paris for 8 euro ($11). It is great that you can get such high quality items, but sometimes you do not need a high quality item, you need something to get you through, and that is where discount department stores like Target, Walmart, Meijer, etc. swoop in and save the day. Perhaps it is just me showing myself to be a product of my consumerist society (but I'm not, really!)

10. The fashion rocks. I mean really. And I don't just mean in places like Milan and Paris. I love the everyday street style of so many Europeans. I believe my favorite was the style of the young people in Berlin. A bit quirky, yet with the practical sensibilities that Germans hold so dear. Ahh, my heart.

11. The cars are so much smaller. And the driving so much more aggressive. I mean, the cars are tiny. Because the streets are tiny. And do not get me wrong, most of the driving was very good. But just far more aggressive than you will usually see in the U.S. I wouldn't go so far as to say the driving in Italy was good, though. More just aggressive. And wild. Borderline not-first-world. ;)

12. There is less emphasis on cleanliness. I am not saying Europeans are dirty. I'm not. Don't put words in my mouth. But in general, sidewalks are dirtier, subway stations are grimier, stores are less obsessively scrubbed, etc.

13. There is a whole lot more recycling going on. I so thoroughly applaud most European countries for making this a priority. In Germany, instead of having just a public trash can, they had these little half-moon shaped holders for bags for different types of waste: paper, plastic, waste, etc. Why isn't the U.S. doing this? Why?

14. There is less water in the toilets. Once I got to Germany I suddenly remembered that I had heard this at one point a while ago, but I had not remembered at all. It's some cool planet-saving thing to use less water. Smart. Also in some cases (German-speaking countries is where I mostly saw it,) there are two levers, one for #1 and one for #2. I have heard new toilets in the U.S. are using less water as well? But I do not know anyone with a new build, so I cannot test this theory ;)

15. The education is much ...better? different, at least? I did not get to have an in-depth conversation with any Europeans about their education system, but based on my research and experience, at the very least in the language area, their education busts the socks right off of America. The people in Germany working in shops accommodating German, French, English, and possibly Spanish or Italian-speaking people just amaze me. The six year old in Switzerland jabbering away to her mom in English, German, and French. All while I haltingly attempt to utilize my years of intermittent study of German. Sigh.

16. Tax is included in store prices. I think really only Americans will understand why this is so hard to get used to. It's nice. But also weird.

Well, I could keep going forever, but my final thought (for now,) is this.

17. Europe is such an amazing place to be. The culture, the architecture, the art, the scenery, the history, the languages. (Nearly) everything about it is so amazing. Everywhere we went, we heard about something we wanted to research, somewhere we wanted to go "next time," people and places we wanted to learn about and experience. It increased our appreciation for travel, for life at home, for Europe, for America, for the entire world.

The Schilthorn, Swizerland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Criticisms? Shameless plugging of your blog or booktube? Go crazy ;)