Saturday, March 10, 2012

Just Finished: In Zanesville, Jo Ann Beard


In Zanesville, by Jo Ann Beard.
First published April 7th, 2011.
Little, Brown and Company.
ISBN: 0316084476

Awwwwwww.

So often, I feel like I was the only one who was like I was as a child.

Scratch that, I still feel like I'm the only one who is like I am ;)

But this writer has really captured what it is like to be in that stage past childhood and before young-adulthood. The strange mingling of discovery and lethargy. The strange, random, paralyzing fear. The fascination of art.

Nothing really happens in this book. There is no plot curve, no action, nothing. It is completely a mood novel. However, it isn't boring.

The characters are like a milder, 1970's version of John Green characters, except these are actually possible. The two main characters are best friends who read a lot and are very smart, but do not have the impossibly witty conversation that seems to be popular in realistic fiction these days.

The bottom line? A deeply identifiable book that has several "Aughhh I've done thattttt" hysterical moments. Solid four stars. Not purchase-worthy, but will probably re-read at some point.

Stay nerdy, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Criticisms? Shameless plugging of your blog or booktube? Go crazy ;)